We take a rights-based approach to complaints. The Disability Service Safeguards Act 2018 (Vic) confirms that people with disability have the same rights as other community members, including:
- to be respected for their human worth and to be treated with dignity as individuals
- to live free from abuse, neglect and exploitation
- to realise their individual capacity for physical, social, emotional and intellectual development to exercise choice and control over their own lives
- to access information and communicate in a manner appropriate to their communication and cultural needs
- if a child, actively to involve the child's family and any other caregivers in decisions affecting the child and to have information and support to enable this to occur
- to choose disability workers with the values, skills and qualifications that meet their needs
- to access services which support their quality of life.